AK RC Models – Teignmouth have bought Bekra Models in Newton Abbot

By | June 24, 2020

Tony who own AK RC Models in Teignmouth has bought Bekra and will be reopening the shop on 4th July. Tony says that the shop has had a major refit and that there will be a greater presence of RC aircraft and cars with much more of the stock on display. Both shops will offer some common items but each will retain their specialisms.

We think that this great news for RC modellers and flyers in our region and we wish Tony all the success in his new venture.

Evening Flying 17th June

By | June 18, 2020

Hi everyone, actually no one saw the sunset last night as we had by then drained our batteries or gone home. Anyway a beautiful evening on the strip with a light NE breeze. The car park was full and later double parked, a successful meeting I’m sure you will agree. Our illustrious chairman Cliff treated us to some evocative flypasts by his WW1 biplane and Tim maidened his Inside F3J, seen at the last club meeting, remember those, and deftly launched by his wife Carolyn, flew away with no issues.

One success story was the recovery of a model from 30 to 40ft up a tree. The model was recovered without a scratch early this morning by an ingenious pole and hook, very well done by a determined pilot.



Home Page lead picture

By | June 8, 2020

To try and keep our website current, I thought it might be interesting to have a lead picture or video clip on the home page that I will change at least monthly and possibly more frequently. To kick this off the lead clip is of Roger’s FMS Pitts S2 taking off at L.H today; as coincidentally it is the same model as covered in June’s RCME. just click on the home page to view.

I also have a few video clips from recent maiden flights and near maiden of a flying bicycle at L.H and am in the process of reducing their sizes to fit within the constraints of  our hosted site.

If anyone has an interesting photo or  video clip then please email it to me and I will load it up to our website.



Returning to flying after a long lock-down in 2020

By | May 25, 2020

It was a glorious morning on Thursday 21st May when we met up at Little Haldon (socially distanced and sanitised of course). A gentle breeze from the North West with thermals and buzzards following our gliders up and up. Several good flight were made, reaching a good height in the thermals although areas of sink could easily be found by those less experienced at reading the signs like me. The land owner, Ralph Rayner, kindly brought up some top-soil to fill in some of the divots.

Little Nellly

By | May 16, 2020

Joe continues to build. This time an auto-gyro called Little Nelly that I remember being a futuristic little craft with rocket launchers in ‘You Only Live Twice’ so I have added a shot from the film to the photos Joe sent me.

Little Haldon – watch out for deer!

By | May 13, 2020

I had a very close encounter with a deer racing across the B??? road between the duel carriageway and L.H this morning. I just managed to accelerate enough that it passed the boot by a very short margin. When they go, there is virtually no time to react so I felt very lucky.

I wonder if the lack of humans and traffic has  made them much braver and they have started to reclaim the road for there own territory.


Chris’s Cobra build update

By | May 12, 2020

A further update from Chris. Its looking impressive Chris, I don’t think that you would want to use my patio as a grid reference though – unless you are building a banana. I look forward to your Maiden this summer

It’s been awhile since my last post, but still building but once the wings come out of the vac-bag, things slow down a bit.

After the wings were done the next thing to do is fit the wing joiner tube in the fuz. This has to be in the right place, using  the patio slabs as a grid ref, a piece of string taped to the fin, and a tape measure.  After the fuz is square, the wings can be put on and moved until everything lines up; the joiner tube is tack glued to the fuz, with the wings removed, the tube was fully glued to the fuz. The wing roots are then placed over the joiner, the wings refitted, and the roots lined up, and glued in place,  balsa infills were glued into the gap, then topped with filler.

1/4″ ply was cut  to form the cockpit frame. This was glued in place, then glassed, small magnets where glued in to retain the canopy. With the cockpit frame done, the canopy frame could be made. This was made from 1/4″ ply base then 3/16″sq was added to give a bigger gluing area for the canopy.


The full build is here